Initiating Group meeting, 11 July 2012

Agenda

Facilitator: Andrew
Scribe: Hank
Timekeeper: Neil
Feelings Watcher: Nelson

1. Check-in
2. Announcements, Transition PA-related
3. Announcements, Transition Network-related
4. Appreciations
5. Approval of 27 June 2012 meeting notes
6. Agenda Review
7. Deferred Items
-none-

8. Ongoing Conversations
a) Cohesion of Initiating Groug
b) Conversation with Jim Williams about BALLE (Business Alliance for Local Living Economies)
c) Review of Making the Shift from Initiating Group to New Core Team tele-event/long-term visioning
d) Adding members to the Initiating Group
e) Care and feeding of Helpers & Supporters

9. Action Items Review
a) Review of spreadsheet
b) Review of Action Items

10. New Business
a) Hat-based assignment for editing old Notes on the website
b) Planning for Transition PA branding
c) Taking ownership of transitionpa.net?
d) Next meeting date, time, location
e) Next meeting facilitator, other roles as needed, and snack plan

11. Take-Aways & Next Steps
12. Evaluation
13. Adjourn
14. Social & Cleanup

Notes

In-Attendance:

Nelson Cone
Andrew McInnes
Diana Somerville
Neil Paynter
Hank Gibson

Guests: Jim Williams, Sissi Bruch

 1) Check-In

 2) TPA Related announcements: None

 3) Transition US Related Announcements:

A couple of education/training events are coming up:

— Mark Lakeman event in California

— Other event unspecified, including various Transition US tele-events

4) Appreciations:

— Lori’s “Action List” is GREAT!

— Diana is feeling much better and is back with the group!

 5) Approval of June 27th minutes: Reviewed; consensus approval.
 6) Agenda Review: Consensus approval
 7) Deferred Items: None

8) Ongoing Conversations

 a) Cohesion of Initiating Group

Sissi:

— Would like to participate as much as possible

— Is working on “top-down” reform/support on the policy side

— Following Clea Rome’s WSU outreach plan, connect various groups together

Discussion of Clea Rome’s Fall Event: “Community Potluck”

Discussion of possibility for a Transition PA Fall Event

Conversation re: combining both events into one larger event

b) Conversation with Jim Williams about BALLE and relocalized economies

— BALLE – Based in San Francisco; the biggest business-relocalization organization in the US, but is struggling in some ways

— AMIBA – Based in Montana

— “Price—Selection—Convenience”

— “How many people doing trade?”

— Maker Movement

— 350.net

— “OPEN” – Network focused on Inventors, lacks funding

— What Comes After Money (book by Pinchbeck/Jordan)

— Sacred Economics (book by Eisenstein)

— Michael Shuman: TINA versus LOIS

TINA (“There Is No Alternative”) ~versus~

LOIS (“Local Ownership and Import Substitution”),

Note: so much information was flowing at this point, it was difficult to capture it all.

c) Review of making the Shift from Initiating Group to New Core Team tele-event/long-term visioning + Teens and Transition tele-event

— Reviewed these two events for the benefit of Nelson & Diana

d) Adding members to the Initiating Group

— Discussion about expanding diversity in IG membership

e) Care and feeding of Helpers and Supporters

TPA is seeking a “Social Director”

— People person

— IG member, or a strong supporter of TPA

— Consider recruiting at August 6th public event

— Discuss further at next TPA meeting 7-18-12

9) Action Items Review

a) Consensus opinion: It’s Wonderful!!

b) Item 3 – Neil would like to suggest a revision:

At the demise of the IG, members of the IG should be disallowed from the role of a working group “Representative”, or as liaison to the Steering Committee or the Core Group”

Lori needs someone to replace her as the responsible person for contacting meeting and event venues and making reservations. Hank volunteered to take on that responsibility, and will contact the Library on 7-12-12 to make arrangements for the public events on 8-6-12 and 8-13-12. Andrew will send Hank the pertinent information to complete the task.

10) New Business

a) Hat-based assignment for editing old Notes on the website

Results: Hank April 23 + June 23

Nelson June 13

Diana May 14 + June 20

Neil May 7 + June 4

Andrew May 2 + June 27

b) Planning for TPA Branding

Discussion of possible skilled persons to consider

Agreement that a unifying look and content is essential

Diana & Hank formed a task force to work on this project

 c) Taking ownership of TransitionPA.net

— Discussed and deferred to next meeting

 d) Preview of Transition 2.0 (courtesy Hank)

— Deferred to next meeting

 e) Next meeting date, time, location

— July 18th , Diana’s house , 4:30 pm

 f) Roles for next meeting:

Facilitator: Diana
Scribe: Hank
Timekeeper: Nelson
Notetaker: Kaitlan or TBD
Feelings Watcher: TBD

 Food: Potluck

11) Take-Aways & Next Steps
12) Evaluation
13) Adjourn
14) Social & Cleanup

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s