Initiating Group meeting, 22 August 2012

Agenda

Moveable Feast Meeting

August 22, 2012

3:00 PM Klallam Kup
4:30 PM Oven Spoonful
6:30 PM Barhop

Facilitator: Neil
Note Taker: Andrew
Time Keeper: Lori
Feelings Watcher:
Scribe:

Part 1 Business
3:00 PM Klallam Kup

1. Check-in
2. Announcements, TPA related
3. Announcements, Transition Network related
4. Appreciations
5. Approval of 25 July 2012 meeting notes
6. Approval of 15 August 2012 meeting notes
7. Agenda Review
8. Action Items Review Part 1
Part 2 Public Conversations
4:30 PM Oven Spoonful

1. Focus Time: Farmers Market Table

2. Ongoing Conversations
a. Adding new members to the IG
b. August 25 work session/retreat logistics
c. August 27 public event @ library
d. Location Development DTF objectives
e. TPA email correspondence
f. Conflict Resolution Presentation (final report of Conflict Resolution DTF)
g. Presentation concerns & new Conflict Resolution DTF formation
h. Transistion training

3. New Business
a. TPA outreach road trip to Port Townsend
b. TPA outreach to Permaculture gathering

Part 3 Business
6:30 Barhop

1. Action Items Review Part 2
2. Next Meeting
3. Take-aways & next steps
4. Evaluation
5. Social

Notes

Part 1

Present: Neil, Diana, Lori, Andrew, Nelson, Hank, Kaitlan
Location: Klallam Kup at the Elwha Cultural Center

On 29 September there will be an event at The Landing’s Conference room. David Spring will speak about Washington State’s future State Bank.

Diana is going to write an article for the Sequim Gazette about the plight of First Federal.

Note: regular preliminaries and conversation took place at the Klallam Kup. There wasn’t much to note outside of the above.

Part 2

Present: Neil, Diana, Lori, Andrew, Nelson, Hank, Kaitlan
Location: Oven Spoonful

1) Focus time — Farmers Market Table & Outreach

Talked about benefits/issues around having a table at the Farmers’ Market, versus another location (such as Klallam Kup). It is the group’s sense that we should start at the Farmers’ Market due to visibility, and grow into new, additional locations as TPA gains recognition.

We need to inform about projects and needs for volunteers. Design a trifold to list out projects, and a separate one for volunteer possibilities.

The projects should be broken up into two different lists: IG projects and grander, Initiative projects.

There was some question as to whether or not the draft trifold should have more about help needed, rather than as much generalised information. Is a multiciplicity of trifolds better, or just one?

It’s the sense of the group that Working Groups will take over producing their own informational material as they form, including an ‘about us’ trifold and a hotlist of help needed. It’s our expectation that Working Group material will have a ‘family resemblance’ with whatever TPA’s own look will be.

Will have a Resources tab on the website to help link people to The Primer, The Handbook, etc. However, there will be a few (~15) copies of the The Primer on hand at the Farmers’ Market table for those who are really interested.

For the Farmers’ Market table (and future outreach of that style) we want to build a moving library. Focus on just the basics, like The Transition Handbook, so that people can look through and see what Transition is all about. Also, a way to play videos (like In Transition 1.0) would be good, if possible.

To distill this down. Basic table material for the Farmers’ Market will be:
-trifold introduction to TPA
-hotlists for
— IG projects
— grander Initiative projects
— volunteers needed
— book wishlist (for in lieu of donations)

It’s the sense of the group that outreach needs to get rolling, and not let it get held up by a lack of a logo. That can be brought on later in the process. Right now we need to get the Initiative much more in the public eye than it is presently. If all goes well, we’ll try to get a table for next week’s Farmers’ Market!

2a) Ongoing conversations — Do we need Friends of TPA?

Questions arose as to whether or not FTPA should be kept in existence. It was designed as a compromise at an earlier stage of the Initiating Group’s coalescing, and there were questions as to whether or not the compromise was still necessary.

The liability shield is the primary reason for FTPA’s existence, specifically for signing hold-harmless agreements for renting space. There is also the potential future need of disbursing funds, accepting donations, etc.

After discussion, it is the sense of the group to keep FTPA in existence.

2b) Ongoing conversations — Adding members to the Initiating Group

Comments arose regarding the lack of focus in this addition process. We’ve had this conversation for many meetings without any forward momentum. How are we to pursue new members to energise the group?

This process needs focus and clarity, perhaps a DTF. We need to identify needs and skills for the mission of the IG, as a way of pursuing new members.

Many energetic people appear willing to pursue projects, but are perhaps too busy to be on the IG. Active recruiting is a possible approach to refocus this process.

The work session this Saturday will touch on this process. Conversation put to bed, new focus will arise after the work session.

2c) Ongoing conversations – Initiating Group work session

Had a planning discussion for the weekend’s work session.

2d) Ongoing conversations – 27 August event

After film, will make time to have progress on Action Teams. Also make more room that previously for organic group formation.

Event agenda:
1) Watch movie
2) Break
3) Structured discussion about the movie (Nelson and Hank co-facilitating)
4) Break
5) Group discussion and reports

2e) Ongoing conversations – Location Development DTF objectives

We really need a dedicated home for Transition PA. Unused space, centrally located, needing sweat equity. DTF was formed last meeting to generally pursue this, but was not discussed in detail.

Need someone very aware of the local real property market, able to provide insight and guidance about researching possible locations.

Hank, Lori, Andrew joined DTF

Objectives for the DTF:

Immediate need for meeting space for IG and public events, up to ~100 people. Would be nice to have possibility for future food prep.

Should not not pursue a space just because “it isn’t big enough”. We intend to follow a distributed model of gathering Transition space, similar to the Fernwood NRG in Victoria. We want to see multiple Transition-related spaces scattered throughout the city anyway, so our first steps must be in that direction.

Centre of population is a very important location, and is a strong considerationg for TPA’s first home. There is a lot of unused space throughout the city, much of it distressed. Howevr, if we get free space we needn’t be picky.

Group emphasised the need to move West and get embedded into that section of the city. The community is very underserved, and we need them to be part of TPA.

Digression here to Low Impact Development in context of parking requirements. The City has received a goodly sum from the State, for LID in low-income areas of Port Angeles. The City will apparently be building rain gardens on West 4th Street. This suggests to us that there are ways around the City’s desire to blacktop anything and everything.

2f) Ongoing conversations — TPA email correspondence

Several emails were discussed, many of which informed events planning under New Business.

2g) Ongoing conversations – Conflict Resolution Presentation (final report of Conflict Resolution DTF)

Reviewed presentation.

2h) Ongoing conversations – Presentation concerns and new Conflict Resolution DTF formation

Questions arose about reworking the presentation as reviewed. Include more about consensus process, and have a more workshop style presentation. Also, had it designed to be easily remapped to any event in particular.

This presentation is a critical part of the future Working Group Toolkit, the group stressed this multiple times. It also addresses the fourth leg – social polarisation – of TPA.

It’s the sense of the group that this project is mostly done for now. However, the presentation will need great attention soon, retooling for helping Working Groups form and function.

Diana, Lori, Andrew will work on the presentation as a DTF to get it website-ready.

2i) Ongoing conversations – Transition training

It is the sense of the group that we will host a local training event. We will have a pricing structure which does not attempt to work as a fudnraiser, but rather simply pay for the event.

Once pricing structure is that the price gets lower as more people sign up. Refunds given to early purchasers so that their costs are in line with late purchasers.

Also, have a sliding scale, possible scholarships for the training to bring in those who can’t afford it but want to participate regardless. Will run various pricing scenarios for the training.

We have set any over-costs funds at one full scholarship equivalent. In other words, if a place at the training costs $100, we will price the training to generate no more than that over the costs of the training.

It is the sense of the group that we intend to hold many training events, to try and reach as many people in Port Angeles as possible. We will also reach out to Local 20/20 for joining in training.

3a) New business – TPA outreach trip to Port Townsend & Local 20/20

Local 20/20 has enquired about borrowing In Transition 2.0, so we’ve decided to offer having a joint event. We’ll bring the movie to them, and start building that connection with our next-nearest Transition Initiative.

Further information will be released about this future event as it becomes available!

3b) New business – TPA outreach trop to the Permaculture Convergence

The Convergence has put out a blanket invitation for Transition Initiatives in the Pacific Northwest to come and talk about Transition. At a minimum, Hank will be there and will represent TPA. Others can join as they desire or are able.

An email will be sent out to the list about this event, and to coordinate with Hank about carpooling, etc. The Convergence represents an excellent opporunity for networking and skillbuilding.

3c) New business – TPA outreach to various events

There is an event on 23 August on Whidby Island about a locally sourced Food Bank. No one on the IG is able to go. However, several videos were attached to the invitation, which we will review and discuss later.

Part 3

Next meeting:

Wednesday at 3:00 pm
Locations: Klallam Kup, Oven Spoonful, and the Barhop.
Facilitator: Hank
Feelings watcher: Kaitlan
Notetaker: Neil
Timekeeper: Lori

Focus time will be on the response to First Federal’s demutualisation.

Meeting adjoured at about 7:50pm.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s