Dot Activity on Categorized World Cafe Responses, 19 April 2012

This activity involved the posters made of the categorized World Cafe responses, which you can read here. Everyone present was given two blue stickers and two red stickers. Then all were asked to identify what were the top two topics they wanted to see action taken, and the two topics they had the most passion to step forward and help see something happen.

For interest, Economy was the top, followed by Transportation and Food. For passion, Food was the big winner, followed by Society & Community and Economy.

Meta-Topic                         Interest (blue)         Passion (red)
Society & Community         8                               14
Community Health              7                                6
Public Safety                       4                                4
City Government                 8                                3
Transportation                     13                              6
Economy                             18                              11
Energy                                 6                                7
Waste                                   9                                5
Water                                   3                                3
Food                                    10                              21

Advertisements

Original Responses from World Cafe, 15 March 2012

Table #1

What scares you about the future, and what’s your hope for Transition Port Angeles?

Gap in social classes
Those who feel they have nothing vs. those who look down on them

Marketing is the basis of consumerism
Underpinning is a commitment to growth
but this will doom us
can’t sustain growth forever
competition for limited resources
gap will grow greater and greater
inculcated into all our systems
the poor are made poorer by marketing

Hopes: put into action the thoughts expressed here
Fear: lower budgets leading to less community activities
Hope: creating our own values rather than from outside forces
Move somewhat toward society we had 100 years ago
All of our “leaders” buy into the growth idea
Local timber industry – exporting raw logs
We should be finishing wood products
Hope: people won’t feel left out

Table #2

Challenges and Opportunities
Challenges
Shuttered stores/depressed economy
Need for long-hauled goods
Hard to produce things locally
Port/Ocean: small-scale shipping possible
Energy intensity to extract
Loss of farmland
Possibility of social disintegration
Opportunities
People trained in maritime trades
Forests/woods
Old technologies still exist
Natural resources: wood/fish/water/climate
Lots of existing skills will still be needed
Development has slowed down
Need to establish community ties
There has already been a study conducted of the local food system and an effort to create a Food Policy Council (led by the local League of Women Voters)

Table 2

What scares you about the future, and what’s your hope for Transition Port Angeles?

Sustainable transport for aging/physically limited populations
Militarization of our borders
If the green and organic movement can finally have caught fire, sustainability can catch fire too
Hopefully to have transportation from further reaches of town into main parts without driving one person per car.
Carpools, conveyer belts, gondolas

Challenge:
Distorted sense of fair value for a product (Wal-Mart vs. local) opportunities.
Bring together local hobbyists and crafts people to find out what they need to be successful in business, like Farmers in Jefferson.
Mills ship out lumber
Make lumber for wood workers to build quality furniture
Textiles for clothing
Brewing

How do we handle our waste stream?
Hope that we could generate energy or new uses for our waste!
Opportunity for new thoughts and ideas for young minds to address solutions
More public transportation, running more often, on more extensive routes using electric or solar powered transport vehicles.
Organize groups of Craftsmen/women. How to convert skills to local industries.
Challenge – People embracing true cost of goods
Scared that things will get worse due to scarcity of resources, and “survivalist” instincts will prevail
Fear that the increased militarization of the Peninsula as characterized by the expansion of Border Patrol will impact personal liberties.
Strength: Community Housing Land Trust
Developing local investing industries to serve out immediate needs.
Peak Oil scares me. Climate change scares me. What my granddaughter’s adult life will be like scares me.
Hobbies – Work
How does our transportation system move people more effectively?
How do we build good neighbors and neighborhoods.
Sustainable transport for aging/physically limited populations

Table 3

Hope: Can sustain without going off the Peninsula

Leverage: Smart metering to learn and control own power use
Cost of Living: Energy Food
Renewable energy
Sources aren’t necessarily cheaper
Concerned that community doesn’t come together
Gulf between have and have-nots widens (smaller middle)
More of what First Federal Bank does
Solar Power
Neighborhood Emergency Preparedness
Expand collective community gardening
Community hubs
What is the tax cost point for Mega stores vs. local stores? Why does it matter?
Change the world…. One pedal stroke @ a time
Opportunities: Neighborhood watch
Challenges
Dependence on external markets
Energy costs
Need a unifying vision for our town
We can be on the cutting edge of localizing food sales and economic efforts

Table 4

Replace City Council
Conservation
Nippon water rights
Become sustainable community
Guns/Drugs
The poor who cannot be self supporting
Roles models for youth
GMS’s
Privatization
Codes: People are not concerned: Bad government
How much electricity do you need?
Would like to see:
People helping people
Behave more sustainably
Conscious living
Conscious Behavior
Make composting poop legal
Conservation Behavior not being enough
Make natural building legal
Hope for PA
Replace most of Council
Make sustainable living legal
Clean up Rayonier super fund site
Conservation is critical – make them care
Get rid of biomass plants
Stop cronyism
Get the “good ole network” to stop wasting our time and resources
Insecurity behavior
Hopelessness
Food security
Corporate ownership of food
Genetically modified food
Privatized water
Corporate profiteering
Cellular damage
Rethink biomass, earthquake prone waste water treatment
Health
Choice of power? Wind – solar – tides – microhydro
Rethink water front
Rethink CSO
Rayonier
Biomass
Economy scale
Possible Tsunami wave will destroy sewage treatment plant

Table 5

Challenges
Discouragement – nothing happens
People want privacy
Homeless People
Inspires City to Invest in people instead of business
Keeping people inspired

Opportunities
Positive people
Community Gardens
Local community gardens
Juvenile hall – juvenile gardeners
Lots of volunteers – retirees

What scares you about the future, and what’s your hope for Transition Port Angeles?
Sacred about Biomass plants
People will forget that have the power to do this, and not let the Big Old Boys stop us from doing it.
Apathy developed and ill-informed people in society. How do we return to the energy of the 60’s?
Consumer attitude
Generation attitude

Hopes
People come together
Co-op food
Traffic circles
Local businesses in buildings
We can attract young people under 25!!

Table 6

Every child deserves a quality education to prepare them for the future
Have a season on Deer! All over Clallam County – border to border
Where are the jobs?
Walking paths
Family
Walk-able paths/trails
Take creeks out of culverts
Access trails over gullies and creeks
Make them more accessible

Table 7

What scares us?
Housing unaffordable
Homelessness
Time to change – loss/life possible?
Locally water pollution – food safe?
Cleanup locally taking so long
Public education not adapting fast enough
Social and economic system fragile – loss of trust – lack of ownership
Air quality
What is our hope for Transition PA?
Good organization
Strength of First Federal
Waterfront can bring us together
Community organized neighborhoods
Energy:
Need to control our grid
Potential of wave power
Could community do it rather than private interest?
Need options explored

Food system – local food – Market is great
(secret garden supply – local organic farm supplies)
We have local bicyclist org to build on – need education for public – need barriers
Good local stores – a clothing store with locally made clothing
We have good public art downtown, symphony, art museum
Locally made furniture w/alder
Local meat butchered locally, and locally processed
Commercial kitchen
Sustainable together
Challenges or Opportunities

Need alternative transportation for those who can’t bike, better buses, small units for rural
Many moved out of town intentionally –
Structure or model for Transition org:
Don’t get bogged down with mission statement
Lots of talent and creativity here
Don’t form committees
Have structure that all ideas can come to – overseeing board and process to evaluate ideas – then draw on resources of community need passion of persons

Challenge: Port Angeles too heavily invested in Tourism

Opportunities:
Farm Land – still here
Business incubator – building and incubator a possibility
Fairview – Turn into working farm and teach students how to do farm business
Collaborate
Build strength of local farms
We have people moving here who want to learn or work as farmers

Table 8

Hope
Authentic to Port Angeles
Local energy
Local water
Local food
Focus on the waterfront
Clean, working harbor

Fears
Lack of vision/cohesion
Sea level rise
Fear of pollution from biomass
Climate impact on food crop, economy
Isolated
Vulnerable
Resilient
When the crash comes we gave resources
No long term professional opportunity
Becoming Port Townsend
Is this movement different? We have been the next big thing for 150 years.

This table had a graph timeline of firewood coal oil – but I couldn’t insert a graph

Table 9

Fears
Biomass causing respiratory problems
Produces dioxins which are carcinogenic
No way to flush out particles from biomass plants
30% less lung development in children like constant wood-burning

Hope
Family center for gathering for fun and learning

Table 10

Hope
Transportation
Cooperative
Green transportation/ neighbors to be more community-oriented (nurture friendships)
Collect our own rainwater!
Neighborhood emergency cooperatives
Sustainability! We can grow our own food.
Bicycles, walk educate the young (our students and their parents)

What scares you?
Consumerism of kids
Global economy impact on local economy
Transportation issues/no public transportation
Climate change
Excessive growth of rural populations
Oil issues – transportation/travel limited
Isolation as a community – un-sustainability! Crisis!

Local organic logos
Community potluck meetings w/local food, wine, music
Party with local food products
Port Angeles logo for locally grown
Piggyback “INFILTRATE” on already established events like
Crabfest, Arts in Action, Hydro Planes, Speed boats
Community Pot Lucks
Get to know people
Eat local foods
Celebrate
Town 4th July Picnic
Mainstream People with sustainable food and teaching opportunities
Educate Public/selves about food, the need “It doesn’t seem like a good deal”
How? Price comparisons
Farmers Market vs. Safeway

Challenge
Lack of transparency in local government, what get’s decided behind closed doors and what gets decided in the open. How it happens? Maybe we can do without “them”
Short term thinking – or Not thinking.
We can meet our own local food needs!!
Local stores can sell local produce products

Good program – encourage home owners to create a small garden – grown an apple tree and pear tree.

Table 11

More accessible public transportation
Better connections with neighbors
City council more responsive to citizens’ needs vs. corporations
Neighborhood community gardens

Climate change
Forest Fires burn our forests
Port Angeles downhill path – living in the past
Possibility lose
food supply
Bridge closure
Landslide over highway

Community greenhouses
Air pollution
Water pollution
Mushroom growers

Table 12

Port Angeles more a part of Victoria
Time bank
City bank
Geothermal retrofit for green
Farmers Market Grow
Produce, buyers
More local businesses
Horizontal organization
On-demand manufacturing
More renewable energy – active and passive
Mine PA landfill for recycling and environmental protection
Make it EASY
Getting people engaged – start with youth
On the ground education
and alternate
Apathy
Tie the City together
Urban gardening
Don’t teach consumerism!
More farmers market days. More hours
Emergency preparedness is very difficult in PA
Far from anywhere except one ferry to Victoria
Local resiliency must improve to preserve the whole community
Get kids involved in city plans
Educating the youth
Face challenges
Community
Be a living example
City government hold competition in local design
“What do you want your future to look like”
Acculturated passivity
Dissatisfaction will lead people to break with system and bring change
Either incentivize change or increase dissatisfaction

Table 13

Fear:
Population +++!!
Poverty – crime
Corporate dominance/power
Increase of illegal drug use
Theft to support
An increasingly feral society

Solar power
Clallam County Sheriff Department has neighborhood organization program for emergency
citizen response. Might be model for neighborhood cooperation, recycling, sharing, reducing consumptions, re-skilling.

Walkable, cycleable, golf cartable

Share effort: Workers, Brains, Imagination, Gardens, Volunteers
Share $$$$ – Locavest!

Contrast consumption
Need communication clearinghouse
Dependency on “outside” force
Divulge local source…

Concern: cost of water (sewer fee) for home gardens
Vacant spaces in downtown PA

Hope
An appreciation of our place in the natural world
Pressure for big box economics:
PA and Sequim: Making Costco and Wal-Mart a family outing tradition
Too many people, too little resources
Bigger is better attitude

Permaculture

Categorized World Cafe Responses, 19 April 2012

Community Health

Make composting poop legal
Make sustainable living legal
Clean up Rayonier Superfund site
Get rid of biomass plants
Cellular damage
Rethink biomass, earthquake-prone waste water treatment
Rethink CSO
Rayonier
Biomass
Possible tsunami wave will destroy sewage treatment plant
Scared about biomass plants
Walking paths
Walkable paths/trails
Local water pollution – food safe?
Cleanup locally taking so long
Air quality
Fear of pollution from biomass
Biomass causing various respiratory problems
Fears: Climate change
Climate change: Forest fires burn our forests
Air pollution
Water pollution
Increase of illegal drug use
An increasingly feral society
Need communication clearinghouse
Permaculture

Economy

Gap in social classes
Those who feel they have nothing vs those who look down on them
Undoing growthism
Fear: lower budgets leading to less community activities
All of our “leaders” buy into the growth idea
Local timber industry – exporting raw logs. We should be finishing wood products.
Shuttered stores/depressed economy
Need for long-hauled goods
Hard to produce things locally
People trained in maritime trades
Forests/woods
Old technologies still exist
Natural resources: wood/fish/water/climate
Lots of existing skills will still be needed
Development has slowed down
Distorted sense of fair value for a product (Walmart vs local) opportunities
Bring together local hobbyists and crafts people to find out what they need to be successful in business, like Farmers in Jefferson
Mills ship out lumber. Make lumber for wood workers to build quality furniture
Textiles for clothing
Brewing
Organise groups of craftsmen/women. How to convert skills to local industries
Challenge: People embracing true cost of goods
Strength: Community Housing Land Trust
Developing local investing industries to serve our immediate needs
Hobbies – Work
Hope: Can sustain without going off the Peninsula
Sources aren’t necessarily cheaper
Gulf between have and have-nots widens (smaller middle)
More of what First Federal does
Expand collective community gardening
What is the tax cost point for mega stores vs local stores? Why does it matter?
Challenges: Dependence on external markets
Challenges: energy costs
We can be on the cutting edge of localising food sales and economic efforts
Conservation
Become a sustainable community
Nippon water rights
Privatization
How much electricity do you need?
Make natural building legal
Stop cronyism
Get the “good ole network” to stop wasting our time and resources
Food security
Corporate ownership of food
Genetically modified food
Privatised water
Corporate profiteering
Economy scale
Inspire City to invest in people instead of business
Hopes: Local businesses in buildings
Hopes: We can attract young people under 25!!
Have a season on deer! All over Clallam County – border to border
Where are the jobs?
Fears: Housing unaffordable
Social and economic system fragile – loss of trust, lack of ownership
Strength of First Federal
Good local stores – a clothing store with locally made clothing
Locally made furniture w/alder
Local meat butchered locally, and locally processed
Commercial kitchen
Challenge: Port Angeles too heavily invested in tourism
Farmland: Still here!
Business incubator – building an incubator a possibility
Fairview – Turn into working farm and teach students how to do farm business
Focus on the waterfront
Clean, working harbour
Climate impact on economy
Resilient
When the crash comes we gave resources
No long term professional opportunity
Fears: Consumerism of kids
Fears: Global economy impact on local economy
Fears: Transportation issues/no public transportation
Fears: Oil issues – transportation/travel limited
Local organic logos
Port Angeles logo for locally grown
We can meet our own local food needs!!
Local stores can seel local produce products
Good programme – encourage home owners to create a small garden – grow an apple tree and pear tree
City Council more responsive to citizens’ needs vs corporations
Mushroom growers
Port Angeles more a part of Victoria
Time bank
City bank
Geothermal retrofit for green
Farmers Market grow produce, buyers
More local businesses
Horizontal organisation
On-demand manufacturing
Mine PA landfill for recycling and environmental protection
More Farmers Market days, more hours
Local resiliency must improve to preserve the whole community
Dissatisfaction will lead people to break with system and bring chgange. Either incentivise change or increase dissatisfaction
Fear: Population +++!! Poverty & crime
Corporate dominance/power
Clallam County Sheriff Department has neighbourhood orgainisation programme for emergency citizen response. Might be model for neighbourhood cooperation, recycling, sharing, reducing consumptions, re-skilling
Share effort: Workers, brains, imagination, gardens, volunteers
Share $$$$ – Locavest!
Contrast consumption
Dependency on “outside” forces
Concern: cost of water (sewer fee) for home gardens
Vacant spaces in downtown PA
Pressure for bigbox economics in PA and Sequim: Don’t make Costco and Walmart family outing tradition
Too many people, too little resources
Bigger is better attitude
Permaculture

Energy

Energy intensity to extract
Hope: Can sustain without going off the Peninsula
Leverage: Smart metering to learn and control own power use
Cost of living: Energy
Renewable energy
Sources aren’t necessarily cheaper
Solar power
Conservation
Become a sustainable community
How much electricity do you need?
Choice of power? Wind, solar, tides, microhydro
How do we return to the energy of the 60’s?
Need to control our gril
Potential of wave power
Could community do it rather than private interest?
Need options explored
Local energy
Geothermal retrofit for green
More renewable energy – active and passive
Solar power
Clallam County Sheriff Department has neighbourhood orgainisation programme for emergency citizen response. Might be model for neighbourhood cooperation, recycling, sharing, reducing consumptions, re-skilling
Permaculture

Food

Loss of farmland
There has already been a study conducted of the local food system and an effort to create a Food Policy Council (Led by the local League of Women Voters)
Hope: Can sustain without going off the Peninsula
Cost of living: Food
We can be on the cutting edge of localising food sales and economic efforts
Conservation
Become a sustainable community
Food security
Corporate ownership of food
Genetically modified food
Opportunities: Community gardens
Opportunities: local community gardens
Juvenile hall – juvenile gardeners
Hopes: Coop food
Local water pollution – food safe?
Food system – local food – Market is great
Secret garden supply – local organic farm supplies
Local meat butchered locally, and locally processed
Commercial kitchen
Farmland: Still here!
Fairview – Turn into working farm and teach students how to do farm business
Build strength of local farms
We have people moving here who want to learn or work as farmers
Local food
Climate impact on food crop
Sustainability! We can grow our own food
Local organic logos
Party with local food products
Community potluck meeting w/local food, wine, music
Port Angeles logo for locally grown
Eat local foods
Town 4th of July picnic
Mainstream people with sustainable food and teaching opportunities
Educate public/selves about food, the need “It doesn’t seem like a good deal” — How? Price comparisons
Farmers Market vs Safeway – Price comparisons
We can meet our own local food needs!!
Local stores can seel local produce products
Good programme – encourage home owners to create a small garden – grow an apple tree and pear tree
Neighbourhood community gardens
Climate change: Food supply
Community greenhouses
Mushroom growers
Farmers Market grow produce, buyers
Urban gardening
More Farmers Market days, more hours
Share effort: Workers, brains, imagination, gardens, volunteers
Need communication clearinghouse
Permaculture

Government

All of our “leaders” buy into the growth idea
Hope: People won’t feel left out.
Need a unifying vision for our town
We can be on the cutting edge of localising food sales and economic efforts
Replace City Council
Make composting poop legal
Make sustainable living legal
Make natural building legal
Hope for PA: Replace most of Council
Stop cronyism
Get the “good ole network” to stop wasting our time and resources
Rethink waterfront
Rethink CSO
Rayonier
Biomass
Codes: People are not concerned: Bad government
Discouragement – nothing happens
Inspire City to invest in people instead of business
People will forget that have the power to do this, and not let the Big Old Boys stop us from doing it
Have a season on deer! All over Clallam County – border to border
Business incubator – building an incubator a possibility
Focus on the waterfront
Lack of vision/cohesion
Collect our own rainwater!
Challenge: Lack of transparency in local government, what gets decided behind closed doors and what gets decided in the open? How does it happen? Maybe we can do without “them”
Short term thinking – or not thinking
Good programme – encourage home owners to create a small garden – grow an apple tree and pear tree
City Council more responsive to citizens’ needs vs corporations
Port Angeles more a part of Victoria
Horizontal organisation
Get kids involved in city plans
City government hold competition in local design. “What do you want your future to look like?” Emphasise youth
Dissatisfaction will lead people to break with system and bring chgange. Either incentivise change or increase dissatisfaction
Corporate dominance/power
Need communication clearinghouse
Concern: cost of water (sewer fee) for home gardens
Vacant spaces in downtown PA
Bigger is better attitude
Permaculture

Water

Port/Ocean: small-scale shipping possible
Hope: Can sustain without going off the Peninsula
Conservation
Become a sustainable community
Nippon water rights
Privatised water
Local water pollution – food safe?
Potential of wave power
Local water
Collect our own rainwater!
Water pollution
Need communication clearinghouse
Concern: cost of water (sewer fee) for home gardens
Permaculture

Public Safety

Possibility of social disintegration
Militarization of our borders
Scared that things will get worse due to scarcity of resources, and “survivalist” instincts will prevail
Fear that the increased militarisation of the Peninsula as characterized by the expansion of Border Patrol will impact personal liberties
Neighbourhood Emergency Preparadness
Guns, drugs
The poor who cannot be self-supporting
Rethink biomass, earthquake-prone waste water treatment
Possible tsunami wave will destroy sewage treatment plant
Sea level rise
Isolated, vulnerable
Neighbourhood emergency cooperatives
Fears: Climate change
Climate change: Forest fires burn our forests
Climate change: Landslide over highway
Emergency preparedness is very difficult in PA
Far from anywhere except one ferry to Victoria
Fear: Population +++!! Poverty & crime
Increase of illegal drug use
Theft to support (drug use)
An increasingly feral society
Clallam County Sheriff Department has neighbourhood orgainisation programme for emergency citizen response. Might be model for neighbourhood cooperation, recycling, sharing, reducing consumptions, re-skilling
Need communication clearinghouse
Permaculture

Society & Community

Gap in social classes
Those who feel they have nothing vs those who look down on them
Undoing growthism
Move somewhat toward society we had 100 years ago
Hope: People won’t feel left out.
Possibility of social disintegration
Old technologies still exist
Need to establish community ties
If the green and organic movement can finally have cought fire, sustainability can catch fire too
Opportunity for new thoughts and ideas for young minds to address solutions
Scared that things will get worse due to scarcity of resources, and “survivalist” instincts will prevail
Strength: Community Housing Land Trust
How do we build good neighbours and neighbourhoods
Hope: Can sustain without going off the Peninsula
Concerned that community doesn’t come together
Gulf between have and have-nots widens (smaller middle)
Neighbourhood Emergency Preparadness
Expand collective community gardening
Community hubs
Change the world… one pedal stroke at a time
Opportunities: Neighbourhood watch
Need a unifying vision for our town
Conservation
Become a sustainable community
Guns, drugs
The poor who cannot be self-supporting
Role models for youth
Privatization
How much electricity do you need?
Would like to see: People helping people
Would like to see: Behave more sustainably
Conscious living
Conscious behaviour
Make composting poop legal
Make sustainable living legal
Conservation behaviour not being enough
Conservation is critical – make them care
Stop cronyism
Get the “good ole network” to stop wasting our time and resources
Hopelessness
Insecurity behaviour
Privatised water
Rethink waterfront
Rethink CSO
Rayonier
Biomass
Codes: People are not concerned: Bad government
Discouragement – nothing happens
People want privacy
Homeless people
Keeping people inspired
Inspire City to invest in people instead of business
Opportunities: Positive people
Juvenile hall – juvenile gardeners
Lots of volunteers – retirees
People will forget that have the power to do this, and not let the Big Old Boys stop us from doing it
Apathy developed and ill-informed people in society
Consumer attitude
Generation attitude
Hopes: People come together
Hopes: We can attract young people under 25!!
Every child deserves a quality education to prepare them for the future
Walking paths
Family
Walkable paths/trails
Take creeks out of culverts
Access trails over gullies and creeks
Make trails more accessable
Fears: Homelessness
Time to change – loss/life possible?
Public education not adapting fast enough
Social and economic system fragile – loss of trust, lack of ownership
Waterfront can bring us together
Community organised neighbourhoods
We have good public art downtown, symphony, art museum
Sustainable together
Challenges or Opportunities?
Collaborate
Hope: Authentic for Port Angeles
Focus on the waterfront
Clean, working harbour
Lack of vision/cohesion
Sea level rise
Resilient
Becoming Port Townsend
Family centre for gathering for fun and learning
Neighbourhood emergency cooperatives
Fears: Consumerism of kids
Fears: Excessive growth of rural populations
Fears: Isolation as a community – Unsustainability! Crisis!
Community potlucks
Get to know people
Celebrate!
Town 4th of July picnic
Mainstream people with sustainable food and teaching opportunities
Educate public/selves about food, the need “It doesn’t seem like a good deal” — How? Price comparisons
Farmers Market vs Safeway – Price comparisons
Short term thinking – or not thinking
Good programme – encourage home owners to create a small garden – grow an apple tree and pear tree
Neighbourhood community gardens
Port Angeles downhill path – living in the past
Port Angeles more a part of Victoria
Horizontal organisation
Make it EASY
Getting people engaged – start with youth
Getting people engaged – on the ground education and alternate
Apathy
Tie the city together
Urban gardening
Don’t teach consumerism!
Far from anywhere except one ferry to Victoria
Local resiliency must improve to preserve the whole community
Get kids involved in city plans
Educate the youth
Face challenges
Be a living example
City government hold competition in local design. “What do you want your future to look like?” Emphasise youth
Acculturated passivity
Dissatisfaction will lead people to break with system and bring chgange. Either incentivise change or increase dissatisfaction
Fear: Population +++!! Poverty & crime
Corporate dominance/power
Increase of illegal drug use
Theft to support (drug use)
An increasingly feral society
Clallam County Sheriff Department has neighbourhood orgainisation programme for emergency citizen response. Might be model for neighbourhood cooperation, recycling, sharing, reducing consumptions, re-skilling
Share effort: Workers, brains, imagination, gardens, volunteers
Share $$$$ – Locavest!
Contrast consumption
Need communication clearinghouse
Vacant spaces in downtown PA
Hope: an appreciation of our place in the natural world
Pressure for bigbox economics in PA and Sequim: Don’t make Costco and Walmart family outing tradition
Too many people, too little resources
Permaculture
Hope: Creating our own values rather than from outside forces
Better connections with neighbours

Transportation

Port/Ocean: small-scale shipping possible
Sustainable transport for aging/physically limited populations
Hopefully to have transportation from further reaches of town into main parts without driving one person per car
Carpools, conveyer belts, gondolas
More public transportation, running more often, on more extensive routes, using electic or solar-powered transport vehicles
How does our transportation system move people more effectively?
Sustainable transport for aging/physically limited populations
Hope: Can sustain without going off the Peninsula
Sources aren’t necessarily cheaper
Change the world… one pedal stroke at a time
Conservation
Become a sustainable community
Hopes: traffic circles
We have local bicyclist org to build on – need education for public; need barriers
Need alternative transportation for those who can’t bike, better buses, small units for rural – Many moved out of town intentionally
Challenge: Port Angeles too heavily invested in tourism
Transportation cooperative
Green transportation/neighbours to be more community-oriented (nurture friendships)
Bicycles, walk; educate the young (our students and their parents)
Fears: Oil issues – transportation/travel limited
More, accessible public transportation
Climate change: Bridge closure
Climate change: Landslide over highway
Port Angeles more a part of Victoria
Tie the city together
Far from anywhere except one ferry to Victoria
Walkable, cycleable, golf cartable
Dependency on “outside” forces
Permaculture

Waste

How do we handle our waste stream?
Hope that we could generate energy or new uses for our waste!
Hope: Can sustain without going off the Peninsula
Conservation
Become a sustainable community
Make composting poop legal
Make sustainable living legal
Local water pollution – food safe?
Clean, working harbour
Air pollution
Water pollution
Mine PA landfill for recycling and environmental protection
Clallam County Sheriff Department has neighbourhood orgainisation programme for emergency citizen response. Might be model for neighbourhood cooperation, recycling, sharing, reducing consumptions, re-skilling
Permaculture

Initiating Group meeting, 22 August 2012

Agenda

Moveable Feast Meeting

August 22, 2012

3:00 PM Klallam Kup
4:30 PM Oven Spoonful
6:30 PM Barhop

Facilitator: Neil
Note Taker: Andrew
Time Keeper: Lori
Feelings Watcher:
Scribe:

Part 1 Business
3:00 PM Klallam Kup

1. Check-in
2. Announcements, TPA related
3. Announcements, Transition Network related
4. Appreciations
5. Approval of 25 July 2012 meeting notes
6. Approval of 15 August 2012 meeting notes
7. Agenda Review
8. Action Items Review Part 1
Part 2 Public Conversations
4:30 PM Oven Spoonful

1. Focus Time: Farmers Market Table

2. Ongoing Conversations
a. Adding new members to the IG
b. August 25 work session/retreat logistics
c. August 27 public event @ library
d. Location Development DTF objectives
e. TPA email correspondence
f. Conflict Resolution Presentation (final report of Conflict Resolution DTF)
g. Presentation concerns & new Conflict Resolution DTF formation
h. Transistion training

3. New Business
a. TPA outreach road trip to Port Townsend
b. TPA outreach to Permaculture gathering

Part 3 Business
6:30 Barhop

1. Action Items Review Part 2
2. Next Meeting
3. Take-aways & next steps
4. Evaluation
5. Social

Notes

Part 1

Present: Neil, Diana, Lori, Andrew, Nelson, Hank, Kaitlan
Location: Klallam Kup at the Elwha Cultural Center

On 29 September there will be an event at The Landing’s Conference room. David Spring will speak about Washington State’s future State Bank.

Diana is going to write an article for the Sequim Gazette about the plight of First Federal.

Note: regular preliminaries and conversation took place at the Klallam Kup. There wasn’t much to note outside of the above.

Part 2

Present: Neil, Diana, Lori, Andrew, Nelson, Hank, Kaitlan
Location: Oven Spoonful

1) Focus time — Farmers Market Table & Outreach

Talked about benefits/issues around having a table at the Farmers’ Market, versus another location (such as Klallam Kup). It is the group’s sense that we should start at the Farmers’ Market due to visibility, and grow into new, additional locations as TPA gains recognition.

We need to inform about projects and needs for volunteers. Design a trifold to list out projects, and a separate one for volunteer possibilities.

The projects should be broken up into two different lists: IG projects and grander, Initiative projects.

There was some question as to whether or not the draft trifold should have more about help needed, rather than as much generalised information. Is a multiciplicity of trifolds better, or just one?

It’s the sense of the group that Working Groups will take over producing their own informational material as they form, including an ‘about us’ trifold and a hotlist of help needed. It’s our expectation that Working Group material will have a ‘family resemblance’ with whatever TPA’s own look will be.

Will have a Resources tab on the website to help link people to The Primer, The Handbook, etc. However, there will be a few (~15) copies of the The Primer on hand at the Farmers’ Market table for those who are really interested.

For the Farmers’ Market table (and future outreach of that style) we want to build a moving library. Focus on just the basics, like The Transition Handbook, so that people can look through and see what Transition is all about. Also, a way to play videos (like In Transition 1.0) would be good, if possible.

To distill this down. Basic table material for the Farmers’ Market will be:
-trifold introduction to TPA
-hotlists for
— IG projects
— grander Initiative projects
— volunteers needed
— book wishlist (for in lieu of donations)

It’s the sense of the group that outreach needs to get rolling, and not let it get held up by a lack of a logo. That can be brought on later in the process. Right now we need to get the Initiative much more in the public eye than it is presently. If all goes well, we’ll try to get a table for next week’s Farmers’ Market!

2a) Ongoing conversations — Do we need Friends of TPA?

Questions arose as to whether or not FTPA should be kept in existence. It was designed as a compromise at an earlier stage of the Initiating Group’s coalescing, and there were questions as to whether or not the compromise was still necessary.

The liability shield is the primary reason for FTPA’s existence, specifically for signing hold-harmless agreements for renting space. There is also the potential future need of disbursing funds, accepting donations, etc.

After discussion, it is the sense of the group to keep FTPA in existence.

2b) Ongoing conversations — Adding members to the Initiating Group

Comments arose regarding the lack of focus in this addition process. We’ve had this conversation for many meetings without any forward momentum. How are we to pursue new members to energise the group?

This process needs focus and clarity, perhaps a DTF. We need to identify needs and skills for the mission of the IG, as a way of pursuing new members.

Many energetic people appear willing to pursue projects, but are perhaps too busy to be on the IG. Active recruiting is a possible approach to refocus this process.

The work session this Saturday will touch on this process. Conversation put to bed, new focus will arise after the work session.

2c) Ongoing conversations – Initiating Group work session

Had a planning discussion for the weekend’s work session.

2d) Ongoing conversations – 27 August event

After film, will make time to have progress on Action Teams. Also make more room that previously for organic group formation.

Event agenda:
1) Watch movie
2) Break
3) Structured discussion about the movie (Nelson and Hank co-facilitating)
4) Break
5) Group discussion and reports

2e) Ongoing conversations – Location Development DTF objectives

We really need a dedicated home for Transition PA. Unused space, centrally located, needing sweat equity. DTF was formed last meeting to generally pursue this, but was not discussed in detail.

Need someone very aware of the local real property market, able to provide insight and guidance about researching possible locations.

Hank, Lori, Andrew joined DTF

Objectives for the DTF:

Immediate need for meeting space for IG and public events, up to ~100 people. Would be nice to have possibility for future food prep.

Should not not pursue a space just because “it isn’t big enough”. We intend to follow a distributed model of gathering Transition space, similar to the Fernwood NRG in Victoria. We want to see multiple Transition-related spaces scattered throughout the city anyway, so our first steps must be in that direction.

Centre of population is a very important location, and is a strong considerationg for TPA’s first home. There is a lot of unused space throughout the city, much of it distressed. Howevr, if we get free space we needn’t be picky.

Group emphasised the need to move West and get embedded into that section of the city. The community is very underserved, and we need them to be part of TPA.

Digression here to Low Impact Development in context of parking requirements. The City has received a goodly sum from the State, for LID in low-income areas of Port Angeles. The City will apparently be building rain gardens on West 4th Street. This suggests to us that there are ways around the City’s desire to blacktop anything and everything.

2f) Ongoing conversations — TPA email correspondence

Several emails were discussed, many of which informed events planning under New Business.

2g) Ongoing conversations – Conflict Resolution Presentation (final report of Conflict Resolution DTF)

Reviewed presentation.

2h) Ongoing conversations – Presentation concerns and new Conflict Resolution DTF formation

Questions arose about reworking the presentation as reviewed. Include more about consensus process, and have a more workshop style presentation. Also, had it designed to be easily remapped to any event in particular.

This presentation is a critical part of the future Working Group Toolkit, the group stressed this multiple times. It also addresses the fourth leg – social polarisation – of TPA.

It’s the sense of the group that this project is mostly done for now. However, the presentation will need great attention soon, retooling for helping Working Groups form and function.

Diana, Lori, Andrew will work on the presentation as a DTF to get it website-ready.

2i) Ongoing conversations – Transition training

It is the sense of the group that we will host a local training event. We will have a pricing structure which does not attempt to work as a fudnraiser, but rather simply pay for the event.

Once pricing structure is that the price gets lower as more people sign up. Refunds given to early purchasers so that their costs are in line with late purchasers.

Also, have a sliding scale, possible scholarships for the training to bring in those who can’t afford it but want to participate regardless. Will run various pricing scenarios for the training.

We have set any over-costs funds at one full scholarship equivalent. In other words, if a place at the training costs $100, we will price the training to generate no more than that over the costs of the training.

It is the sense of the group that we intend to hold many training events, to try and reach as many people in Port Angeles as possible. We will also reach out to Local 20/20 for joining in training.

3a) New business – TPA outreach trip to Port Townsend & Local 20/20

Local 20/20 has enquired about borrowing In Transition 2.0, so we’ve decided to offer having a joint event. We’ll bring the movie to them, and start building that connection with our next-nearest Transition Initiative.

Further information will be released about this future event as it becomes available!

3b) New business – TPA outreach trop to the Permaculture Convergence

The Convergence has put out a blanket invitation for Transition Initiatives in the Pacific Northwest to come and talk about Transition. At a minimum, Hank will be there and will represent TPA. Others can join as they desire or are able.

An email will be sent out to the list about this event, and to coordinate with Hank about carpooling, etc. The Convergence represents an excellent opporunity for networking and skillbuilding.

3c) New business – TPA outreach to various events

There is an event on 23 August on Whidby Island about a locally sourced Food Bank. No one on the IG is able to go. However, several videos were attached to the invitation, which we will review and discuss later.

Part 3

Next meeting:

Wednesday at 3:00 pm
Locations: Klallam Kup, Oven Spoonful, and the Barhop.
Facilitator: Hank
Feelings watcher: Kaitlan
Notetaker: Neil
Timekeeper: Lori

Focus time will be on the response to First Federal’s demutualisation.

Meeting adjoured at about 7:50pm.

Initiating Group meeting, 15 August 2012

Agenda

Location: Conference room upstairs Landing Mall.

Snacks: Finger Food

Facilitator: Kaitlan/Neil
Note Taker: Andrew
Timekeeper: Neil
Feelings Watcher: Andrew
Scribe: no scribing done

1. Check-In
5. Announcements, TPA-related
6. Announcements, Transition Network-related
7. Appreciations
8. Approval of 25th July 2012 meeting notes
9. Approval of 8th August 2012 meeting notes
0. Agenda Review

2. Ongoing conversations
a. August 13th event review
b. Adding new members to the IG
c. Care & feeding of helpers & supporters
d. First Federal demutualization discussion

3. Action Items Review

4. New Business

a. Upcoming events?
b. August 25th work session/retreat

10. Next meeting

11. Take-aways & next steps
12. Evaluation
13. Adjourn

Notes

Present: Andrew, Neil, Kaitlan, Nelson, Diana, Hank, Lori

Note: Agenda was heavily rearranged from our usual form, because several present had time constraints.

2a) Ongoing conversations — August 13th event review

The energy from the event was amazing. It was the sense of the group that although attendance was down from the 6th August event, those present were very focused and were ready to get stuff done.

Got review of the Transportation breakout group from Lori. Sounds like it might become the first Working Group, especially in context of bringing together people interested in alternate transportation. The need to address wheelchairs as a necessary transportation method was also mentioned as a priority, to ensure that everyone can get around safely and as easily as possible.

2b) Ongoing conversations – Adding new members to the IG

One person has indicated they are unable to participate on the IG, but will help!

Helen Sears indicated she was unable to participate on the IG for personal reasons, and requested to be removed. It was the sense of the group that Helen would be more than welcome to return to the IG if she should want to do so in the future. We thank her for her contributions, good spirit, and collaboration to this group!

2c) Ongoing conversations – Care and feeding of helpers & supporters

What support can we offer? Let’s ask! Create Working Groups by encouragement. Discussed generally that a lot of people will find TPA to be a home. This underscored the need for a Working Group Governance Toolkit.

The First Federal Response Action Team was discussed further, in terms of group process and dynamics. It was our sense that the Action Team would have accomplished more with better process, and exampled the critical need to provide process support and facilitation.

Additionally, in future events we will start seeding ideas of process and positive group dynamics, to lay the groundwork for the Working Groups Governance Toolkit.

We feel the need to meet and learn about TPA supporters. Sit down and start building those one-on-one connections. Start finding the passions and providing support. This also points out the need for a presskit, in addition to toolkits.

This gave rise to the question of what, exactly, is the nature of this ongoing conversation! It was our sense that it is a project for the entire group and individually. Care and feeding is bringing people to the table. Care through work is our best chance at providing support and facilitation, let the process take care of who wants to work and who wants to support. Nurturing and outreach, bringing people to a working table.

As part of this, we decided to devote a significant part of our weekly meetings to focus topics. Each week will be a different topic, which we hope will draw people together to start tackling these issues. Farmers’ Market outreach will be next week’s focus topic!

This conversation was retired from the agenda, as we’ve moved beyond it into an active, work-oriented model of care & feeding.

2d) Ongoing conversations — First Federal demutualization discussion

Discussed First Fed demutualization, specifically replacing the commercial loans aspect of that institution. Will look into business development credit unions (note: one CDFI exists locally, called Craft3).

Vice president of First Fed will be unavailable for two weeks, which delays any significant progress for the First Federal Response Action Team formed at the 6th August event.

There are rumours that a letter is going to be circulated by First Fed offering depositors first refusal on shares in the ‘new’ First Fed.

3) Action Items Review
Discussed ‘Crisis of Civilisation’ movie. Feeling was that although the movie is very good, there are concerns that the politics of the movie are potentially divisive. Nevertheless, the movie is a good introduction to global systemic problems. It’s a possibility for a “scary movie night”. ‘Fixing the Future’ was proposed as an alternative, being a more positive and results oriented movie. We want to focus on solutions, not the problems themselves.

Appreciations around for the people who have offered their digital projectors for use!

Discussed the Library Project Disappearing Task Force, First Federal Response Action Team, and the Working Groups Governance Toolkit DTF.

Regarding the Library Project, it’s the sense of the group to use the searchable phrase “Transition movement” for TPA’s NOLS resource library. This will help cross-pollenate the Transition process throughout the NOLS system, and help TPA facilitate future Transition Initiatives in Clallam County.

4a) New Business – Upcoming events

Library is confirmed for 27th August, 7pm. We’ll be playing ‘Power of Cumminty’ and afterward have lots of activities. Another Charter review included. Also have First Federal Response Action Team meetup, along with any other topics people are interested in working on.

Possibly have multiple TED-style talks after the movie, get people on the ground and pursuing projects. Also an opportunity to gather up local experts on Transition-related themes.

4b) New Business – August 25th work session

Space needs are getting acute. The lack of free-use indoor public space is very surprising. Underscores the future need for a Transition gathering space.

4c) New business — Response to various emails.

Brief discussion. Shelly Randall of Local 20/20 requested a PDF copy of the Charter, so it’s now in the hands of Local 20/20!

4d) New business — Meetup review

The group has concerns about the problems with potentially conducting business online. We believe face-to-face meetings are the best for getting things done. However, a bulletin board is useful. Concerns here arose around moderation. We don’t have the resources to tackle a project of that size.

It’s the sense of the group that there is skepticism about expansion of TPA’s online presence at this time. However, we are very willing and open to adopt tools which facilitate face-to-face interactions. Andrew will look into the matter more and report back to the group.

4f) New business – Nature of Action Teams

It’s the sense of the group that Action Teams need to evolve for some time before we can start solidifying their form and process. It’s also the feeling of the group that Action Teams are temporary expedients, as nuclei for future Working Groups.

5) Announcements, TPA-related: Green Party hosted a movie, “The 1%” on Thursday.

6) Announcements, Transition Network-related: None
7) Appreciations: to Kaitlan for arranging the meeting space!
8) Approval of 25th July meeting notes — Deferred
9) Approval of 8th August meeting notes – Approved

Meeting adjourned, 5:45pm

Initiating Group meeting, 8 August 2012

Agenda

Location: Olympic Medical Center Cafe

Snacks: Cafe Food
Facilitator: Kaitlan
Note Taker:
Timekeeper:
Feelings Watcher:
Scribe:

1. Check-In

2. Announcements, TPA-related

3. Announcements, Transition Network-related

4. Appreciations

5. Approval of 25th July 2012 meeting notes

6. Approval of 1 August 2012 meeting notes

7. Agenda Review

8. Ongoing conversations

a. August 6th event review

a. Adding new members to the IG

b. Care & feeding of helpers & supporters

c. August 13 event and Charter update

d. First Federal demutualization discussion

8. Action Items Review

9. New Business

a. Upcoming events?

10. Next meeting

11. Take-aways & next steps

12. Evaluation

13. Adjourn

Notes

TRANSITION PORT ANGELES INITIATING GROUP

WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 8, 2012

OMC Cafe

Meeting started at 4:45

Present: Nelson, Diana, Hank (late), Neil, Lori, Kaitlan, Andrew. Guests: Tracey, Ed, Adrian.

Facilitator: Kaitlan
Notetaker: Neil
Scribe: Andrew (on a notebook)
Feelings Monitor: Diana
Time Keeper: Andrew
1. Check in.

2. Announcements TPA related: There is a guy coming to an upcoming Green Party event to talk about the State Bank concept.

3. General Transition announcements: not really.

4. Vast appreciation for Nelson’s excellent notes.

5. The approval for 7-25 notes was deferred; notes for 8-1 approved.

6. Agenda addition: logistics for August retreat/work session.

7a.Post-mortem on 8-6 event: The event was generally good and well executed, but with room for improvement.
Suggested to have more frequent email announcments, and closer to the event.

b. In regards to adding new members to IG, it was suggested to invite people to help with the DTFs. And celebrating their participation.
The inviting part will be incorporated into the 8-13 event.

c. August 13 event. The big charter draft witll be up on the walls. Diana will MC. Introduce the BOLT (Best Of Last Time) tradition in order to review the
previous event. Movie “Transition 2.0”. After the break, room will be partially split between charter room & room with tables for DTFs and conversation. Snacks will be a repeat of 8-6. At the end, a BOTT (Best Of This Time) tradition will be launched.

d. In regards to the First Federal Demutualization issue, it was decided to form a “action team” having a longer life than a DTF and not quite yet a working group to handle the many good ideas to deal with this. Neil & Diana will try to get something started at the 8-13 event.

(At 8:00 PM the meeting fell into some dissary when the OMC Cafe was closed. The meeting restarted standing on the sidewalk outside.)

8. Action Item Review – deferred.

9a. New Business: upcoming event: Movie “Power of Community” & charter presentation/dtfs/social
b. logistics for August retreat/worksession deferred

10. Next meeting: Wednesday 8-15 time (earlier would help out those wanting to attend Farmers Market meeting) and public place to be determined. Diana’s as a back-up. Kaitlan facilitates.

11. Take aways were not done because of the standing up issue.

12. Evaluations: OMC not so good. Wonderful, energizing to have guests. Good to explain process to persons unfamiliar.

13. Meeting ended at 8:30.

Initiating Group meeting, 1 August 2012

Agenda

Facilitator: Neil
Note-Taker: Nelson
Feelings Watcher: Kaitlan
Timekeeper: Andrew
Scribe: Andrew

1. Check-in
2. Announcements, TPA-related
3. Announcements, Transition Network-related
4. Appreciations
5. Approval of 25 July 2012 meeting notes
6. Agenda Review

7. Ongoing Conversations
a) Cohesion of Initiating Group
b) Adding members to the IG
c) Care & feeding of helpers & supporters
d) August 6 event
e) August 13 event
f) Charter
g) Library project
h) Application process

8. Action Items Review
9. New Business
10. Next meeting
11. Take-aways & next steps
12. Evaluation
13. Adjourn
14. Social & Clean-Up

Notes

Present: Nelson, Diana, Hank, Neil, Kaitlan and Andrew.

Facilitator: Neil
Notetaker: Nelson
Scribe: Andrew
Feelings Watcher: Kaitlan
Time Keeper: Neil

1) Check in: All survived a relatively un-eventful week.

2) Announcements; TPA Related; Hank announced the Port Angeles Community Garden Group will hold a meeting at the Barhop on Laurel St. on Thursday, August 2nd, from 5:30 PM to 7:00 PM Topic will be “FOOD”. Several group members heard that a new group is forming which more or less duplicates the Transition model. It was suggested we contact them and make them aware of our movement. Hank said he would check on the situation.

3) Announcements; TT Network Related: None.

4) Appreciations; Andrew expressed appreciation and all concurred, for Diana’s work to finalize the Dispute Resolution and Reconciliation section of the Charter.

5) Approval of Notes; Deferred.

6) Agenda Reveiw; Add to Section 7. Item g.Update on Library Events, Item h. Hank give update on Farmer’s Market Board and item i) Application for certification.

7) Ongoing Conversations

a. Cohesion of Initiating Group; Neil not clear on Sissi’s status. It was decided not to put her name on the IG roster until her status is clarified. Neil asked if all the persons listed on the website are members of the Initiating Group. Helen is on leave and Sissi is still welcome to participate if she wishes. It was agreed by consensus that we are the ‘official’ Initiating Group.

b) Adding Members; Andrew suggested we hold our meetings in a more public place to draw in new members. Diana suggested the Olympic Medical Center Cafeteria. On Tuesday they serve Nash’s produce. It was suggested we show our Charter to Annie Lafritz and get her reaction. It is hoped that we recruit new members at our August events.

c) Helpers and supporters; Neil contacted Kevin about starting an alternate business association. Will follow up on that.

d) August 6th Event; Discussion of format. Setup 12 tables. Participants make list of issues. Have comments on each issue. Each table develope their own interest. Make reference to DOT Survey as indicator of interest levels.

e) August 13th Event; Signup groups. Hank said we need to create working groups toolkit. We also need to thoroughly acquaint them with the Transition Movement. We need a clear and concise list of the top 12 issues at each table.
We also need a big press release with the top 12 issues outlining the top 12 issues. Neil seconded Hank’s proposal to have a toolkit for the groups. Agreed by consensus.

Disappearing Taskforce formed conssisting of Hank, Neil, Kaitlan and Andrew. Schedule of meeting discussed.

DOT Process Topics MC – Andrew
General MC – Diana
Working Groups MC – Hank or Neil(?)
The IG will sit in front, we will do introductions. Members will have name tags.
Diana will conduct a Q & A at the end for a wrap-up.

Andrew will, at an appropriate time, make a statement about the delay and why we are what we are. He will also ask for new and future members.

Snacks discussed. Fruit and veggie trays get so-so response. Chocolate items always good; brownies, toll house cookies, etc. Pretzels and chips with dip would work. We will check with local food stores and restaurants for donations – New Day, Good-To-Go, and so on. Kaitlan said we should know by Friday. We cannot actively solicit donations but we can put out a donation jar. We need to setup at 6:30 PM and start at 7 PM. Hank will check with Library on equipment reservations. Hank presented meeting schedule for futher comments. No significant comments.

Tables should be labeled with visable signs. We will have blank name tags that attendees will fillout themselves. We should go online and check “Like” on August events.

f) Charter – Group discussion with Andrew leading and describing the structure of Charter. Charter consists of eight independent parts linked in a circular concept. The Charter is made whole by the Charter Formation document. This concept was adopted by consensus after lengthy discussion.

g) Library Project Update – Hank said the resources are available to form a Transition Port Angeles Collection. We need a DTF to work with the Library to get it done. Neil, Nelson and Hank appointed to DTF to meet Sunday at 1:00 PM. Also Hank said Library wants us to make a commitment to dates and times we want to reserve the Library in the future. We should make a decision before next meeting.

h) Farmer’s Market Board – Hank said for all intents and puposes he is the only remaining member of a committee to restructure the Farmers’ Market. Future uncertain.

i) Formal Application. Charter ready when Diana is done with Dispute and Reconciliation section we need to send our application for certification. We each need short biography.

8) Action Item Review — Defer/Table.

9) New Business.
a) We need to make some decisions on use of Library.
b) The area needs a Community Center for organizations like ours. A place to meet and socialize.
c) Future Meetings – Open Topic Meetings, show videos, have speakers. The first Monday of the month may work. At the August 16th event we can announce the showing of “Crisis of Civilization” on the first Monday of September or we get a speaker on State Banks and the situation with First Federal Bank going public.

Next meeting; Wednesday, August 8th at 4:30 PM at the OMC Cafeteria. Kaitlan will facilitate.

Respectfully Submitted, Nelson Cone, Notetaker